The two current book chapters are about using blogs in the classroom and RSS feeds. I am coming around to RSS feeds but I'm still not entirely convinced they are the be-all, end-all that the book claims. I can see the usefulness, don't get me wrong, but I don't know that I'm a person that would use one on a daily basis. That might change if I get a classroom. I'm open to it, lets put it that way.
![]() |
| Image curtsey of Cortega9 |
This article by Will Richardson has some other good potential ideas and reasons why blogging AND RSS feeds are useful. Using RSS to subscribe to the kid's blogs is an obvious use but having parents subscribe is an added bonus- they can subscribe not only to the classroom weblog for homework and updates but their student's page to see what they are contributing to class.
And I went to look on Will's page...it's the author of our book for the class. Well who woulda saw that coming?
He is now one of my new favorite people (there is not a mention of blogs but he has a lot of good things to say):
In his article here he has 3 suggestions as starting points for teachers becoming what he calls "connected educators."
- Thinning the walls of the classroom- having class room participation be more than just 'in the building.' This means collaboration outside the classroom- easy to do with blogs.
- Talking to strangers- I thought this was an odd one, especially in light of our discussion on Internet filtering and safety, but as he points out talking to strangers means "teaching them how to find, vet and learn with people they don't know..." Teaching students how to interact on the Internet- again it is there, we need to teach them how to use it. The fun behind this idea is that of pen pals from another state or country. I know one of my classmates is thinking about doing that with her students. I think that's a great way to make safe connections and teach kids how to Interact on the web.
- Be transparent- basically this means modelling correct behavior and sharing our lives with others. Be a blogger if you expect your students to be bloggers. Show them how its done.





.jpg)
I apologize if I commented twice, but I don't see my previous post. I was thinking that blogging allows struggling writers see what good writing looks like when they read their peers posts.