What a week! Every person I know from a different state chose this week to come visit. I have been to the zoo with friends from Georgia, I have spent the 4th with my uncle from Tennessee and my sister from Georgia, and finally today is the big day my cousin from California is having her wedding/baby shower.
![]() | ||
| It rained the whole time we were at the zoo. Smart orangutan. |
My first obstacle in creating the PP was figuring out if I could make an actual PP or if it was just a "slide show." Everything I've looked at on Slideshare is a slide show, which is not what I consider PP to be. When I create a PP, animations for reveals are a big part. A slide show just shows a whole slide, one right after another. Therefore, I had to change my thinking about how I was going to present this project.
Then I had to pick a topic. I tend to lean toward math because it is my favorite or science because it can be easier to find things so I wanted to challenge myself a bit by doing something for ELA. I landed on grammar because it lends itself to a slideshow. And what is more basic for all students to know that nouns and verbs? Initially I had ideas for adjective and adverbs as well but my time got cut short so I focused in on the two biggies. It does make me want to work on an additional slide show, however, on those two things, the "ads" as I call them.
Making the slideshow wasn't overly difficult. But I will say that making it a slideshow and not a PP was work for my brain. I had to think about the whole project in a different light than what I would typically do for a PP. I had to make it simple, clean, and effective without the bells and whistles I associate with my normal PP presentations.
At first I was not happy to use Slideshare. But in the end, I will say it made me think about the bare basics of what I wanted to get across and how to effectively relay what I was teaching in a concise, logical manner. It was really a challenge and I like what I ended up with.
That being said, PowerPoint is still one of my favorite programs to use. I love the bells and whistles, even the subtle ones.
So I guess, in my opinion, one isn't better than the other. They are just different. And that's ok.






Shauna, you did a great job on covering 2 of the 8 parts of speech. Being an ELA teacher is a downfall sometimes when it comes to our graduate school projects, but I enjoyed this week's project.